Friday, August 27, 2010

AUGUST DOTM SPICY PEACH SORBET (V)

August is for peaches! Summer is for being really lazy about posting on DOTMC!
I dedicate this post to my littlest sister who is in need of non dairy desserts.

I had used my Flip to make a companion video to this recipe to put on Food Punk, and it was really cute and then my computer and Flip had a massive falling out and I lost every video I ever saved. However, I still got a crappy pic with my phone that you see here! Huzzah! Look out for your hard copy in the mail it IS coming. Promise. (For lots of rambling on the recipe below,and some ice cream tips you can check out Food Punk).



4-6 good size peaches peeled and chopped
A couple chiles ( I had dried Chiles de Arbol, but  fresh jalapeno or any such nice chile would work well I think)
2 tbsp of honey
2 tbsp of Sorghum Syrup (or corn, no judgments here)
a pinch of salt
the juice of one lemon and (optional) a shot of Tequila

Cook the peaches in a saute pan over med heat. As they begin to cook and break down add the honey and syrup. Stab your chiles with a paring knife and throw them in. When the mixture looks like it would make an ok jam, take it off heat, discard the chiles and puree mixture in a blender.
( I kept half of one of my chiles and threw him in the blender)
Strain the mixture into a metal bowl. This is annoying but so necessary, just keep pushing the puree through with a spatula.
Make sure to scrape off all the goo clinging to the bottom of the strainer as that is the good stuff!
Put the bowl in the fridge and be patient while it gets nice and cool. (2-4 hrs or overnight)
Freeze according to the ice cream maker's directions

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! Peaches-n-chilis are the new peaches-n-cream, and I'm totally a-ok with that.

    ReplyDelete