Sunday, January 25, 2009

PIE WEEKEND



I have eaten so much pie. Good Lord! I regret to say that I was only able to photograph one, but it is a special pie. A simple pie. A pie that when I make it, I wonder how many times it has been made. Apple pie always gets the spotlight and is our nation's darling, and I love apple pie don't get me wrong. I always add the juice of one small lemon to my apple pies and it creates a taste so vivid, I can recall it now -and the crackly texture of it's sugary crust! Man I feel another pie coming on! Back to the pie I made for National Pie day. A Southern favorite, Buttermilk Pie (and buttermilk crusts, breads and baked goods) were very popular when fruits were scarce. There was always plenty of buttermilk around, as it was a by product of churning butter and due to it's natural acidity, kept well. The traditional buttermilk pie consists of eggs, sugar, buttermilk and flour, however it easily adapts to all sorts of additions and tweaks. I have tried cardamom buttermilk, pecan buttermilk and I always add lemon to buttermilk pies too (I guess I just really love lemon!). Often times recipes instruct you to sprinkle cinnamon or flour and sugar on top of the pie prior to baking. I imagine the sugar makes a nice crust on top but I have yet to try it cos I am always rushing to get it into the oven.
BUTTERMILK PIE
(adapted from Southern Living Magazine)

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour, plus a little for dusting
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Beat eggs slightly and add sugar and flour. Then add melted butter and mix well. Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix.
Pour batter into shell, and then sprinkle a little more flour (or cinnamon or sugar) on top. Bake at 325 degrees until the custard is set. ( at least 45 min)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, buttermilk pie. Such a civilized choice! Looks super-yummy. Too bad we aren't neighbors and could swap slices :(

    ReplyDelete