Wednesday, January 07, 2009

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BREAD



I have been at home sick for two days. In between feeling lousy and sleeping I have energy spurts and get stir crazy. So I bake. I wash my hands! Yeah, it may seem gross, but this is what I do. At least I am coming clean about it. Yesterday when I thought I was better I made
Chocolate Bread:
(adapted from an adapted recipe given to me by Chef Jeff at ICE)

1.5 oz fresh yeast
2 cups warm water
12 oz high gluten flour (I used King Arthur Bread flour)
2 oz hazelnut flour (I used chesnut)
1/4 cardamom (did not use)
1/4 tsp ginger (I used a tblsp)
1/4 tsp of nutmeg (I did not measure)
1 tblsp kosher salt

8 oz chopped semi sweet choc
8 oz chopped dried cherries (my awesome addition)
14 oz all purpose flour
2 oz dutch cocoa (another addition)

Stir yeast into warm water and let it do it's magic. Add high gluten and nut flour and stir. Combine spices and salt and add in to yeast mixture. Sift cocoa into all purpose flour add chocolates and cherries. Add this to yeast mixture. Remove from bowl and knead till smooth. ( I dumped it into my Kitchen aid with the dough hook and let it do this part for me- I'm sick!)

Shape dough into a round or split it into 2 small rounds. Put on parchment lined sheet and let rise for a half hour someplace warm, but not too warm.

Slash each round
Bake in a preheated oven at 325 for 30 minutes.
Let cool completely

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:14 PM

    I have been reading "Typhoid Mary" By Anthony Bourdain and the idea of cooking/baking while sick is really scary! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were lucky enough to get the extra loaf of this bread and it is AMAZING! extra yummy when dipped in coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I am LOL that ophile referenced Typhoid Mary. Hi-larious. Typhoid or no, this bread looks rockin'! And I'm sure it's helping to cure what ails you ;)

    ReplyDelete