Sunday, April 20, 2008

Fennel fun!

I am always eating this fennel salad. It's so good and refreshing and healthy and satisfying...so much so that I yap about it all the time, hence why Nicole asked me to post about it already.
Here's a pic of it, pre-dressing. I don't really follow a strict recipe, but here goes:

  • 2-3 heads of fennel, sliced thin or chunky, however you like
  • one large or 2 small oranges, cut into pieces.
  • handful of raw or dry roasted unsalted pistachio nuts
Dressing: 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic, depending on your taste, the juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons, olive oil, sea salt, pepper. For extra oomph, top with shaved pieces of parmesan cheese.

Sometimes I'll put in apples or pears in place of the orange...other ingredients that go well in this salad are mini-cucumbers, endive, and radishes. It's one of those salads that still tastes great (better, even) and maintains it's texture a day or two later.
I made this yesterday and mixed in some white cannelini beans and chunks of a good quality jarred tuna fish, like this, and BOY was it good. Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment