Friday, December 24, 2010

Pure Evil (aka Chocolate Pate)



So, I know I am super late. I'm November and it's Christmas. I had a small disaster with my original cake which I made in November. It became known as "the dirt cake" and it took me awhile to shake off that failure. I will attempt "the dirt cake" again next November. It will not beat me!
The success: Chocolate Pate with Espresso Whipped Cream
If you're on a diet don't even make it. Don't even look at it. It's evil.
I used to make this at an old place I worked. The original recipe had old coffee in it and a crushed walnut crust. I didn't want to do that since I'm allergic to nuts. It also came out more fudgy than pate-y. So I combined an internet recipe and the old one to get this.

Ingredients:
24 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 pound unsalted butter
6 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
4 egg whites
Well buttered cake pan

for whipped cream:
1 pint heavy cream
powdered sugar
vanilla
instant espresso or instant coffee
water
Pre-heat oven to 325

Melt butter and chocolate in top of double boiler stirring occasionally

Whip whole eggs and yolks until lemon yellow and fluffy.

once chocolate is melted, pour hot water from double boiler into water bath

Whip egg whites into a meringue

Once chocolate is cooled to room temperature, fold egg mixture and meringue into chocolate

Pour into pan and place pan into water bath

Bake for one hour at 325
Thirty minutes in, rotate the cake. Be gentle.

Cool completely in the fridge.

Whipped Cream:

Dissolve 1 tablespoon instant espresso in 1 tablespoon warmish water. Let it cool. I put it in the freezer. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon Nicole's homemade vanilla and one pint heavy whipping cream and whip it!

No comments:

Post a Comment