Wednesday, November 11, 2009

BUTTERMILK DOUGHNUTS IN APPLE CIDER GLAZE




Molly Schnick and I go apple picking every year but this year it just did not happen. We both really love Fall and I knew when I wanted to make doughnuts I would have to get her on board. My first inclination was of course -Apple Cider doughnuts! BUT I had a big beautiful bottle of organic buttermilk in the fridge....I was torn. Fortunately Molly suggested that as we have supped on apple cider doughnuts many a time in our past, perhaps it would be nice to try something else.



We decided on Buttermilk Doughnuts with an Apple Cider glaze!
It all went pretty swimmingly EXCEPT for when the doughnuts cooked too quickly on the outside and not enough on the inside. Which you can see evidence of here:

I have a lot to learn about maintaining the temperature of oil. At one point it was off the thermometer! So we just shut off the burner and let it drop.

We roughly followed this recipe and for the glaze I boiled down a cup of apple cider and a half cup of sugar.

Once I get myself a deep fryer, I hope to make doughnuts more often. Not the healthiest, I know but it was really fun and think of all the experimenting!
Root Beer Doughnuts anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment