Saturday, October 03, 2009

Salty Caramel Ice Cream

Sumptuous...can I say that word? I made a sumptuous dessert last week, salty caramel ice cream. As many of you know, I'm of the dairy-free persuasion and since I can't seem to ever make it to Lula's Sweet Apothecary when I'm in New York (http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/) I decided to try making a frozen treat on my own. I consulted my *autographed* copy of Wheeler Del Torro's newly released book "The Vegan Scoop" and the results are truly rich and dense with a heavenly hint of salt. You'll need an ice-cream maker (thanks to my friend Reb for leaving hers at my house indefinitely) and I invested $12.00 in an candy thermometer for the caramel. My main inspiration: the key-lime ice cream Nicole made when I had dinner at her place in August.

For the Caramel
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup earth balance (non-dairy butter)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Ice Cream
1 cup soymilk
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 cups soy creamer
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

To make the caramel: Slowly boil sugar, corn syrup, butter, and coconut milk until mixture reaches "thread" stage on thermometer (235 degrees). Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Set aside.

To make the ice cream: In a small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup soymilk and arrowroot. Set aside.
Mix soy creamer, remaining 3/4 soymilk, and sugar in a saucepan and cook over low heat. Once mixture begins to bil, remove from head and immediately add arrowroot cream. This will cause the liquid to thicken noticeably. Add vanilla extract.

Refrigerate mixture until chilled, approximately 2-3 hours. Freeze/make ice cream according to your ice-cream maker's instructions. In the last few minutes of freezing, swirl in the homemade caramel.

[sorry no pics]

4 comments:

  1. Everyday I pass an Indian restaurant that has on it's sign "Sumptuous Desserts" so I say: you sure can say that!!

    Thanks for sharing this!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi
    Yum! I was just reading about Del Torro's book! So excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haagen Dazs Reserves makes a nice salty caramel ice cream. Be sure to try that one out. It's probably not as good as your homemade version though. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. found you through foodie blog roll
    love the concept and testes behind this ice cream.

    ReplyDelete