Monday, September 10, 2007

WEDDING CAKE NUMBER ONE

Forgive the poor quality of these pics. Below is my very first attempt at a wedding cake. The cake was for the lovely and gifted Tara Donovan.
As you can see through the construction and completion of the cake at my house, it looks a little wacky! However at the restaurant where the reception was I was able to revive it from the car ride which almost caused it's premature end. I know the pic at the party is very blurry and grainy BUT as you can see, some decorations and the lovely topper that Tara made make it look so quaint and simple and....delicious- which is the most important thing! I heard people at the party exclaiming it was delicious! Imagine me among 140 art crowd folks, wringing my hands over my fennel salad, terrified there would be something wrong with the cake. That it would separate during the speeches, but it survived! Next time I will try the Mousseline Buttercream from Cake Bible as the regular buttercream I used slid off the bottom cake layer en route. (To be fair to the buttercream my inability to accurately level the bottom layer may have contributed to this.) I will try SO much harder next time and I did learn a bunch: crumb coat is KING, level! level! level! your layers, and always bring enough extra frosting (and tools, dowels, etc) to fix any mishaps. Anyhow- here it is.





1 comment:

  1. That looks AMAZING.
    I don't regret having Sugar Sweet Sunshine cupcakes at my wedding party, but if I could get a time machine I'd travel back to autumn 2005 and beg you to make our cake. Then right after that I'd talk my parents out of forcing us to go to Las Vegas for our honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete