Tuesday, February 27, 2007

RICOTTA CHEESE PIE OR ITALIAN STYLE CHEESECAKE OR DAMN GOOD PIE

So this is literally one of the first things I ever baked. I have not had it in many years and my recent pie obsession got me thinking back and I am so very glad I remembered it. It's unbelievable the next day after a nice sit in the fridge. sorry no pic of it, made at my Oscar party (which almost no one came to thanks to a snowstorm- haha more for me-it has been my breakfast the past two days..!). It can have a top crust or not..I was raised on top crust but the one I made was one crust. Just play around with it but don't let it go- I am telling you it is comfort pie, try it.


Sophie Lang's (my Dad's mom, but he also made a mean one) Ricotta Pie:

For the crust
3 c. flour
3/4 c. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. lemon rind

Filling
1 lb. Ricotta cheese
4 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
1 pie shell (unbaked)

Beat all ingredients together and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until knife inserted comes out clean, as for a custard pie.

I added some lemon juice, increased the sugar a bit cos I actually made mine with low fat (LAME, I had it on hand) but I encourage you to use whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment