|Treat for the dog-days of summer.|
2½ pounds peaches, halved lengthwise, pitted, and cut into ¾-inch-thick wedges (about 8 cups)
1 cup blueberries (about ½ pint)
2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted soy butter, cut into small pieces
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
¾ cup Veganaise + ¼ cup water
Sanding sugar for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 375°, with racks positioned in upper and lower thirds.
- Stir together peaches, bluebetries, 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a 12-by-8
½inch (2-quart) baking dish; set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and remaining 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar in a medium bowl or stand mixer. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or 2 knives to form clumps that are no larger than small peas.
- Scrape vanilla bean seeds into the Veganaise; stir with a fork to combine. Discard pod. Add cream mixture to flour mixture; stir until a soft, sticky dough forms. Using a spring-loaded ice-cream scoop, scoop out 10 equal portions of dough onto the filling & sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Protect your oven with a parchment-lined cookie sheet on the lower rack. Bake cobbler on the top rack until the topping is golden brown and juices ar bubbling (55-70 minutes). If topping browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- Let cool 1 hour before serving.